1. Given My Life – Mighty Whites
2. L-O-V-E – Leon Thomas
3. Rainmaker – C J & Co
4. How Can I Go On Without You – John Edwards
5. Your Momma Had A Baby – Street People
6. Lucky Fellow – The Independents
7. Can We Talk This Over (Edit) – Eddie Floyd
8. What Is Best For Me Is Better For You – Will Hatcher
9. That’s The Story Of My Life – Major Lance
10. I’ll Continue To Love You (Edit) – Millie Jackson
11. Mrs So & So’s Daughter (Edit) – Loleatta Holloway
12. Franchise On Love – Felecia Johnson & T.S.B. Inc.
13. Keep On Doin’ Whatcha’ Doin’ Pt 1 – Ty Karim & George Griffin
14. Ride The Disco Train – The Moderations
15. A Star In The Ghetto – Foxfire Featuring Johnny Adams
16. Nobody’s Doin’ A Doggone Thing – Lee Porter & Peaceful Persuasion
17. Dose Of Soul – Chet Ivey & His Fabulous Avengers
18. I Ain’t Givin’ Up – Ray Godfrey
19. We’ll Go On (Edit) – Eon
20. I’ll Live My Life Loving You – The Headliners
21. Gotta Be Loved Pt 2 – Herman Davis
22. Hello Stranger – Reggie Milner
23. I Believe – New Experience Feat. Elaine Porter
24. I Guess God Wants It This Way – Freddie Scott
Masterpieces Of Modern Soul Volume 5 – Various Artists CD (Kent)
Only 2 left in stock
1. Given My Life – Mighty Whites
Masterpieces is back with a cross-section of all that’s good on the Modern Soul scene.
Full of exclusive gems like the Mighty Whites’ unreleased master ‘Given My Life’ from Los Angeles which would eventually see life in an inferior recording by Brotherhood on MCA in 1978. It’s been played on acetate across Europe and is widely admired. A more modern version of ‘Rainmaker’, as popularised on Kent LPs in the 80s, is featured by Detroit’s C.J. & Co. and that city also provides a fabulous groove on ‘Ride The Disco Train’, a never-heard-before secular update of the ever-popular Tolbert Family gospel 45.
Jazzman Leon Thomas reminds us that Northern Soul clubs weren’t all baggies and spins with his ever-popular shuffler ‘L. O. V. E.’, while Major Lance’s ‘That’s The Story Of My Life’ is a 70s record that features the best of the classic soul sound. Millie Jackson’s ‘I’ll Continue To Love You’ also belies its release date, in this case 1976 but sounding almost 1969; fast feet needed here. Some social commentary features on Lee Porter’s now in-demand Memphis waxing ‘Nobody’s Doin’ A Doggone Thing’.
It’s the digital debut for Ray Dahrouge’s excellent first session on the Street People which yielded two terrific sides and this unreleased gem. Eddie Floyd’s unissued Stax outing was featured on a long-deleted CD but deserves a re-listen now the edit is more apt, as is the case with Eon’s LP track which stretched on fine on their solo CD but benefits from a short back and sides here. John Edwards’ original of Corey Blake’s ‘How Can I Go On Without You’ is well-known but has never made a Masterpieces set, while Loleatta Holloway’s catchy and unusual ‘Mrs So And So’s Daughter’ also receives an edit and re-run.
Dave Hamilton’s Detroit stable takes us into the 80s with the little-known Felicia Johnson cut ‘Franchise On Love’ and New Experience’s unissued ‘I Believe’. A surprise sleeper is Will Hatcher’s ‘What Is Best For Me Is Better For You’ which has been overshadowed by its brilliant flip ‘Who Am I Without You Baby’; this comes close to matching it after a few plays – a real grower. There’s a brand-new version of ‘I Ain’t Giving Up’, the song Ray Godfrey wrote for both Joe Simon and Millie Jackson, by the man himself, and Part 2 of Herman Davis’ two-stepper ‘Gotta Be Loved’ debuts on CD.
A terrific mix of sounds from the early 70s right through to the 80s; as a collection they are irresistible. – Ace Records
You may also like…
Mainstream Modern Soul 1969-1976 – Various Artists CD (Kent)Mainstream and its subsidiaries IX Chains and Brown Dog were very classy New York labels owned by ve£12.50 Add to basket
Los Angeles Soul Kent – Modern’s Black Music Legacy – Various Artists CD (Kent)We revisit the Kent and Modern labels, the source of our first releases Label owners the Biharis kne£12.50 Add to basket
Masterpieces Of Modern Soul Volume 1 – Various Artists CD (Kent)To the uninitiated I won't go into the full explanation of Modern Soul, there are more than enough w£12.50 Add to basket
Masterpieces Of Modern Soul Volume 2 – Various Artists CD (Kent)A long-waited follow-up to 2003’s first volume, Kent presents 24 more slabs of 70s soul: crossover£12.50 Add to basket