1. Who Knows – The Soul City
2. Without Love – Ronnie Taylor
3. Don’t Pass Me By – Big Maybelle
4. Where Is The Party – Helena Ferguson
5. Dead! – Carolyn Sullivan
6. Home Is Where The Hatred Is – Esther Phillips
7. I Ain’t Got To Love Nobody Else – The Masqueraders
8. I’ll Be Right There (To Make Love To You) – Mark IV
9. I’m Not The One – Kenny Carter
10. Somebody New – The Emotions
11. (Until Then) I’ll Suffer – Barbara Lynn
12. Foolish Fool – Dee Dee Warwick
13. My Desires Are Getting The Best Of Me – George Jackson
14. These Ain’t Raindrops – James Carr
15. Standing At The Crossroads – Eddie & Ernie
16. Can’t Last Much Longer – Betty Harris
17. Lovers Always Forgive – Gladys Knight & The Pips
18. Every Night (I Pray) – The Chantels
19. Satisfaction Guaranteed – Judy White
20. Right Here Is Where You Belong – Jerry Washington
21. I Will – Lattimore Brown
22. It’s Too Late (For Tears) – Renee Bailey
23. All I Want Is You – Zilla Mayes
24. What Can I Do (Without You) – Linda Jones
25. Nothing Can Change This Love I Have For You – ZZ Hill
Dave Godin’s Deep Soul Treasures Volume 5 – Various Artists CD (Kent)
Only 1 left in stock
1. Who Knows – The Soul City
15 years on from both Dave Godin’s death and his fourth volume of “Deep Soul Treasures”, Kent has compiled a further 25 tracks using titles chosen by Dave for future projects in the series.
Many are recordings he wanted from day one of the Treasures concept, but licensing quirks made them unavailable until now. The Emotions’ ‘Somebody New’, Helena Ferguson’s ‘Where Is The Party’, George Jackson’s ‘My Desires Are Getting The Best Of Me’ and others are tracks he had wanted to include from the outset.
As usual there is an Eddie & Ernie offering and a release associated with Larry Banks and his musical family’s work; Larry’s nephew has contributed the note. The Banks’ track is actually previously unreleased; Kenny Carter’s reading of ‘I’m Not The One’ which he wrote with Larry Banks and recorded first. It was shelved when his LP project fell through and Larry’s version was later issued on Kapp and featured on the first “Treasures” CD.
Licensing hurdles were cleared with regard to Big Maybelle, an artist Dave always adored and got to meet at the Soul City headquarters. It is also the first time that Esther Phillips, James Carr, Barbara Lynn and Linda Jones feature; all favourites of his.
Always a champion of the oddball, he raved about the Soul City’s cover of Gladys Knight’s ‘Who Knows’, just as he did with the Zilla Mays and Ronnie Taylor tracks. They did not have extensive recording careers but hit the pinnacle for Dave on these specific offerings.
There is a fine balance of male/female and solo/group acts, reflecting Dave’s admiration for all styles of soul music. The Chantels’ 1958 single ‘Every Night’ is the earliest recording he ever chose (by some three years), but he heard deep soul in its impassioned vocal and it also reflects his love of black music from the pre-soul years.
The booklet is enhanced by an extensive interview Dave gave to Jon Savage in the 90s; Jon also writes an introduction. Where relevant, Dave’s words, mainly from the pages of Blues & Soul magazines of the time, are used in relation to the recording. Guest writers of the calibre and experience of Stuart Cosgrove, Sean Hampsey, David Nathan, Tony Rounce, Richard Searling, Richard Williams and others pen descriptions of the tracks – often with reference to Dave’s championing of them. – Ace Records
You may also like…
Dave Godin’s Deep Soul Treasures Volume 3 – Various Artists CD (Kent)Godinesque may well be a new adjective in our language, but aptly describes this latest volume of De£12.50 Add to basket
Dave Godin’s Deep Soul Treasures Volume 4 – Various Artists CD (Kent)In 1997, Dave Godin launched his first Deep Soul Treasures CD Of the genre he had so masterfully ide£12.50 Add to basket
Dave Godin’s Deep Soul Treasures Volume 1 – Various Artists CD (Kent)I first coined the term Deep Soul in the mid-60s to define a style that had surfaced earlier, but wh£12.99 Add to basket
Dave Godin’s Deep Soul Treasures Volume 2 – Various Artists CD (Kent)To assess a CD compiled by one of the best reviewers and journalists in the world is a daunting task£12.50 Add to basket